ESPY Awards Part 2: BACKSTAGE with Wyclef & Samuel L. Jackson!



I wansn't planning on covering the ESPY Awards because I wasn't able to get press credentials for it. But being a Wyclef Warrior has its perks! I knew Wyclef was coming to town, but didn't want to bug him since he was so kind to me on his last visit. However Monday morning I awoke to a tip off of his hotel drop in less than an hour. Ran out the door and got downtown in record time! Waiting on the curb for his arrival, I sent him a direct tweet explaining that I wouldn't be at the ESPYs, but might see him at the hotel. Minutes later he arrived and kindly let me take some photos. I didn't even ask him for any favors, he just asked for my card, told me not to worry about it, then disappeared into the hotel. Later on I got a tweet from him saying simply "stand by." Fast forward to Wednesday, hadn't heard back yet and didn't want to get my hopes up to be disappointed. Too late to cancel the other job, so my overnights had begun and I was up from noon Tuesday till 9:30 Wednesday morning. But around noon I awoke to a text that Wyclef had a guest pass for me, so again I bolted out the door and made it downtown just in time. Wyclef's manager met me outside and, to my complete surprise, asked if I wanted to go say hi to Wyclef in his dressing room! I spent about 45 minutes backstage at the ESPYs, chilling with Wyclef and Jerry Wonder before the show, listening to music while Wyclef twittered away to his Warriors online. I recorded and posted the videos below during the visit, direct from my phone, and you can tell I need sleep, badly! I asked Wyclef what I could do to thank him, and he said he wanted me to tell you all just how real his Warrior movement is, so that's why I am telling this long story!



After that he needed to get ready, so I headed up to the red carpet, and bumped into Samuel L. Jackson on the way! I asked if it was okay to take a few shots of him and he said, "That's what you're here for ain't it?" Yes, it was! After the red carpet I watched the show from the press tent, but I won't be revealing any winners here, because the show hasn't aired yet! But I got a cople of shots of the presenters, Jeremy Piven and Rashida Jones, that I can share...
Thanks again Wyclef for another incredible experience I will surely never forget! Warriors Unite! Join the movement! @Wyclef http://wyclef.com





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About Item9

HOLLYWOOD, 2009: Dangerous and deadly car chases. Drug-fueled starlets refusing to wear underpants. D-listers begging to be photographed. Beefy bouncers with headsets and no brains. Lap dances in the gutter. Has-beens stealing your kush.

Everyone had a story, and most of them were working on a script based on that story. The landscape had changed, and what had once been a glamorous and dreamy boulevard was now a dark and seedy underground of hanger-ons and fame junkies.

That's where I came in. I could say I did it for the money, but that would make me a liar just like the rest of them. The truth is I was drawn to it. Like an accident on the side of the road. I didn't want to look, but my camera guided me, daring me not to ignore my destiny.

Recent Comments on Item9

Item9 Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Item9's Top Referrers

    Copyright © 2009 Item9.com | Contact